A good rule of thumb for interviews: always dress one step above what employees at that business wear to work. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. A clean and neat professional appearance is an important step in making a good first impression. It includes standards for behavior that might be mandated in an employee handbook, like adhering to a certain dress code, as well as traits that are harder to pin down but still valuable to being professional in the workplace. Whatever you do, wherever you work, your attire is a significant part of your identity and a key factor in how you are perceived throughout your relationship with a company. Just as your brand gets a good visibility through appropriate colors, shades, and … When you dress up in a suit, you tend to stand straighter and project more confidence, which people will respond to positively. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to what's appropriate for the workplace. Dressing professionally also includes grooming. 10 Reasons Why You Should Dress For Success Following a specific dress code in the workplace is a common norm that every employee follows. We have all heard the saying, “Dress for the job we want, not the job we have.” Like it or not, humans are visual creatures. My clothing enhance my confidence in my abilities and my mood. Respect your company’s rules. Khaki's and a polo can be appropriate professional attire for a fast-food job interview, while nothing less than a three-piece suit will do for an interview at a law firm. Since 1995, America’s Future Foundation has been the premier nationwide network of liberty-minded young leaders, providing unique opportunities to learn the ideas of liberty and develop the skills necessary to articulate them. First Impressions count. It puts you in ‘work-mode’ from a … Let’s ask ourselves, “Is my image portraying my best self so that I can gain respect from others and articulate my ideas or is it showing a lesser version of myself?” There is reason to consider the benefits of dressing well and expressing your unique individualism at the office – no matter where you work. In addition to it being an unwritten rule, people who dress well always catch the attention of everyone around them, and it also defines them and the kind of people they really are. Leah Whetstone serves as America’s Future Foundation’s Community Growth Manager. Comfy sweats and T-shirts can create a relaxed, I-don't-care kind of attitude. There are times when we all feel less confident about ourselves or our abilities, but dressing well, especially within a professional environment, elevates our confidence and often opens opportunities to work with more colleagues and to take on more projects. Her articles have appeared for Future Business Leaders of America and in such places as "Pipeline" and the websites EyeOnSoaps and BetterRVing. It matters because the way people perceive us will most likely dictate our next career move, if and how we are hired, and the ways people treat us. You need to wear what makes you feel like your best self. Creating Cohesion: An employer’s standard for dress codes creates a standard for visual cohesion. There is a general ideology that workplace attire mainly consists of formal wear in colors that belong to such a fashion. She graduated from Hillsdale College with a Bachelor of Science in marketing and enjoys travel, workout classes, and helping others see the beauty of their unique style. In this episode I talk about why it is really important for us to look at something as simple and basic as dress code. Most importantly, this professional attitude forces us into a mode of productivity. Add personality to an outfit with a rustic watch, fun pair of glasses, new lipstick, or colorful heels, but let’s be mindful to keep it within the confines of acceptable office dress. You sit up taller, you receive compliments on how sharp you look, and you feel important because your work attire is so much fancier than what you wear on the weekends. Clothes become symbolic of who we are.” Let us bring the best version of ourselves to work, every day. With appropriate clothing, accessories and footwear, an employee can emphasize his skills & qualities in the eyes of his employer, co-workers & clients. Studies have shown that it only takes seven seconds for a person to form an impression of someone else. The way you look says a lot about you. They can transform you instantly and have a very real, visceral impact. CashMoneyLife: Build a Professional Wardrobe on a Budget. Clean hair, face and hands, fresh breath and light, or no, perfumes or aftershaves create an important … One person's success reflects well on everyone in their workplace. Outside of AFF, she runs a wardrobe consultation side hustle that aims to develop individuals’ personal style. As style guru and former What Not to Wear co-host, Stacy London, once put it, “Clothes allow you to see yourself in a different light. First impressions matter. This concept is especially relevant when tasked with projects or coaching others in a professional setting. Whether we work in a causal setting or must wear a tie to work, let’s not be a copy of our coworkers. Professional dress is not the same for every situation. Studies show inappropriate dressing or grooming causes 40 percent of job rejections. "Casual … [Whether you're walking down the street, shopping at the mall, or going out on the town for a night of fun, you'll likely notice someone who's dressed provocatively -- that someone might even be you. There are multiple reasons why dressing professionally is beneficial, but here are just a few: First impressions are the most important element of meeting someone new. It needs to be suitable for the workplace. The … Why Is It So Important To Dress Professionally For Work Many researchers have studied that dressing up professionally influences the way you perform at your workplace. For remote workers or people who might telecommute or work from home, it is still a good idea to stick to the routine every day, and dress-up before starting work. The Importance of Dressing Well in the Workplace We often choose to partake in careers or professional programs that advance our intellectual curiosity, cultivate skills, and build knowledge around different issues, processes, and systems that people rely on us for. The major reason why dressing in proper business attire is important for every business professional is because it presents a visual image and sends a message that the employees are professional. Corporate Identity. Professionalism goes beyond a checklist of requirements. Dressing well and utilizing style as a mechanism to express our individualism, character, and personality helps us stand out from the crowd, in a positive and potentially career uplifting way. You always hear the phrase “dress for success,” and think, sure, I’ll step it up a notch today when I get ready. This is why it is accepted as global workplace attire. Despite all the variations in their responses, one thing is clear: It’s important to dress authentically at work. The process first began in 2014. Promotes productivity. What we wear dictates to the world who we are, and how we want to be perceived and treated. But many of these endeavors do not require a dress code, or at best provide guidelines around “business professional” or “business casual” clothing. Whether you like it or not, you are judged based on your appearance. Although many offices are casual environments, it is necessary to be in proper work attire. Showalter received her Bachelor of Arts in mass communications from the University of South Florida. If you show up for an interview or an important meeting looking like you just rolled out of bed, then the person you are meeting with will likely see you as unprofessional, harming your chances of getting the job or making the sale. If you are working in a school, corporate or on your own, wearing proper attire is important. All Rights Reserved. Dressing well is the first step. According to studies, specific work clothing will make your employees more focused on their job. ln workplaces with clear, established dress codes, formal dress may be very important, and informal dress could result in a write-up or call an employee’s commitment into question. Your appearance is influential to others as well, not just yourself. Dressing professionally also includes grooming. Making professional dress even more confusing is the fact that types of work environment make a big difference in what one wears. They aren't afraid to share knowledge, opinions, or simply an extra pair of hands. Keep holy the casual Friday. A good rule of thumb for interviews: always dress one step above what employees at that business wear to work. Keep in mind that understanding work and office culture is important and we should adapt accordingly. How Going Low-Tech Can Help You Write More Efficiently, Building Connections and Networking Virtually, Landing a Byline in a Reputable Newspaper, 10 Home Schooling tips from a Working Mom of Four+, I Follow People I Disagree With, You Should Too, The History of Government and Booze in America in Five Scenes, There’s Only One Way to Stop Polarization from Tearing America Apart, Lily Tang Williams: From Mao’s China to Freedom in America, Weekly Writers Round-Up: Veterans Day in a Pandemic, Leaving Big Tech, and Student Loan Forgiveness. Importance of Professionalism and Work Ethic “Succeed at Work,” published by the Texas Workforce Commission, states that professionals who exhibit a strong work ethic are valuable employees who might be rewarded with promotions, new work opportunities and salary increases. How much more likely are we to receive a project, promotion, or raise at work when we command respect from others in how we present ourselves? It's especially important to evaluate summer wardrobes as warmer weather arrives. And it probably works, right? The Importance of Grooming & Dressing for a Job Interview. It's important to portray a good image to coworkers and clients. A job interview is not the place for a trendy fashion statement. Before you have had a chance to discuss your skills, you have already been judged on your appearance and clothing. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. This is the most important reason for dressing appropriately for work. I would say dress to the role you are looking to portray. You want the interviewer to focus on you and your skills not your clothes. Sometimes we all must fake it until we make it, but dressing well helps bring true authenticity and unique confidence to the table when working with others. It’s easy to put on a simple dress or chinos and a button down for work without considering crafting personal items into our appearance. Several companies typically encourage or … Every company comes with a different set of rules and policies. Even in environments with more lax dress practices, dressing up can show a level of commitment and respect for the work, which looks good to employers. Those two familiar statements prove that everyone needs to realize the importance of dressing professionally. Perhaps it’s just me, but reminiscing about times where I felt the most confident with coworkers or friends are often when I unknowingly dressed in items that elevated my individual style and unique character.

why is it important to dress professionally at work

Nerite Snails Saltwater, Best Professional Toner For Blonde Hair, Marshmallow Cancer The Healer, 570 Arsenal Street Watertown, Massachusetts 02472 Usa, Soundmagic E50c Vs E11c, Synthesizer Vs Keyboard,